top of page

HOUSING - Legal Aid

At KB Law Solicitors we are one of the few law firms in the Berkshire area that can assist tenants with public funding, both Legal Help and full funding certificate from the Legal Services Commission for eligible clients. These allow us to undertake all elements of a case from initial instructions to representation before the courts. An assessment is made of every potential client at the beginning of a case to ensure that we can assist all eligible people.

KB Law Solicitors provides pro-bono legal advice in partnership with various Citizens Advice Bureaus and Charities on a regular basis.

We offer legal advice if your matter is in scope for Legal Aid for the following issues:

  • Applications for housing assistance with local authorities due to homelessness.

  • Representation in possession proceedings where your landlord is seeking to evict you from your home.

  • Representation in cases of Serious Disrepair – resulting in the removal of serious risks to occupier health and safety (claims for damages are out of scope).

  • Representation in cases where your landlord is harassing you with the intention of forcing you out of the property.

Please note, if you do attend an appointment and do want to be assessed for legal aid, we require you to bring the following information during your initial appointment;

  • Photographic ID

  • Utility bill dated in the last 3 months of your appointment.

  • Last 3 months bank statements from the date of your appointment.

  • If you are working, your last 3 months pay slips.

  • If you are self-employed, last year’s accounts report prepared by your accountant.

  • If you are in receipt of Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or NASS payments. Please go to the jobcentre and ask them to write a letter confirming what benefit you are in receipt of. Should the Job Centre ask the reason for this, inform them that it is required for your application for Legal Aid.

  • Recent working tax and child benefit letter.

  • Recent housing benefit letter.

  • All documentation regarding your case.

Without the above information, it would be difficult for us to assess your entitlement to Legal Aid.

We undertake work that is publicly funded by the Legal Aid Agency for Housing & Debt matters that are in scope for Legal Aid assistance.

If you wish to be considered for legal aid please ask us and we will tell you if it is available based on your circumstances.

bottom of page