Parent Visa of a British or Settled Child

Parent visa route is intended for a parent who has responsibility for or access to their child following the breakdown of their relationship with the child’s other parent. The route is also for applicants who:

  • have sole parental responsibility for their child; or

  • do not live with the child (who lives with a British or settled parent or carer), but they have direct access (in person) to the child, as agreed with the parent or carer with whom the child normally lives, or as ordered by a court in the UK; or

  • (for a leave to remain application) are the parent with whom the child normally lives, rather than the child’s other parent who is British or settled.


  • The immigration rules require that:

  • The applicant must be the parent of the British or settled child;

  • The applicant must be aged 18 or over;

  • The applicant's child must be:

  • under the age of 18 years at the date of application for entry clearance;

  • living in the UK; and

  • a British Citizen or settled in the UK

  • The applicant must provide evidence that he/she has either:

    • sole responsibility for the child; or

    • direct access (in person) to the child, as agreed with the parent or carer with whom the child normally lives or as ordered by a court in the UK; and

  • The applicant must provide evidence that he/she is taking, and intends to continue to take, an active role in the child’s upbringing.

The applicant must provide evidence that he/she will be able to adequately maintain and accommodate himself/herself and any dependants in the UK without recourse to public funds.

The applicant must provide evidence that there will be adequate accommodation in the UK, without recourse to public funds, for the family, including other family members who are not included in the application but who live in the same household, which the family own or occupy exclusively: accommodation will not be regarded as adequate if

  • it is, or will be, overcrowded; or

  • it contravenes public health regulations

English Language Requirements:

To qualify for an Unmarried Partner visa, the applicant must demonstrate that they can speak and understand the English language to a minimum level.

You may be able to meet this test simply by virtue of your nationality - for instance, if you come from a predominantly English-speaking country - or if you qualified for a degree that was taught in English. In both of these cases you will have demonstrated a sufficient grasp of the English language to qualify for a Partner Visa.

If not, then you will have to pass an English Language Test carried out by an approved test centre. Please get in touch with us if you would like more information about the English Language Test.

If you wish to obtain advice or legal assistance in respect of your immigration matter, we offer an affordable and confidential consultation at a fixed fee with and experienced immigration lawyer where we can answer your questions and explain the processes that will apply. Your consultation fees will be set off against your instructions to the firm if you go on to instruct us.

For more information or to book an initial consultation, please contact us

  • Instagram
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

© 2020 by KB Law Solicitors 

KB Law Solicitors is the trading name of KB Law Solicitors Limited. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under SRA registration number 638922. KB Law Solicitors Ltd is a limited Company registered in England and Wales under registration number 10194135.