top of page

Tier 5 Temporary Worker Visa

The Tier 5 Temporary Worker visa category is for certain types of temporary worker whose entry to the UK will help to satisfy cultural, charitable, religious or international objectives. You will need to have an offer of a position before applying for a visa.


Each subcategory has its own eligibility requirements:

Creative and Sporting: The Creative and Sporting subcategory of the Tier 5 Temporary Worker route is for individuals who have been offered work as a creative worker (including, but not limited to, actors, dancers, musicians and film crew) or sportspersons.

If you apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker visa as a creative worker, you will need to demonstrate that you can make a unique contribution to the UK labour market and that you will be paid the minimum salary as set by Equity, PACT or BECTU.

If you apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker visa as a sportsperson, you will need to be endorsed by the governing body for your sport and demonstrate that you will make a significant contribution to your sport at the highest level in the UK.

Charity Worker: You can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker visa in the Charity Worker sub-category if you wish to undertake unpaid voluntary work for a charity. The work that you intend to undertake in the UK must directly relate to the charity which is sponsoring you and the position must not be a permanent position.

Religious Worker: If you would like to undertake religious work, for example preaching or working in a religious order, you may be able to apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker visa in the Religious Worker sub-category. Your salary and conditions will need to be at least equal to that received by settled workers in the same role. Your employer may need to conduct a ‘Resident Labour Market Test’, which in some circumstances will entail providing evidence of a national recruitment search.

Government Authorised Exchange: The Tier 5 Temporary Worker Government Authorised Exchange (GAE) route is for individuals who wish to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to complete training, an Overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an approved Government Authorised Exchange scheme.

International Agreement: You can apply for a Tier 5 Temporary Worker visa in the International Agreement sub-category if, while in the UK, you will be contracted to undertake work that is covered by international law (e.g. working for a foreign government or as a private servant in a diplomatic household). You will normally need to have professional experience in the relevant sector before you apply under this route.

Duration of Visa:

The Tier 5 Temporary Worker category does not lead to settlement in the UK, except where you were granted entry clearance under the Immigration Rules in place before 6 April 2012 and have spent five years lawfully in the UK with leave in the international agreement sub-category and have been working as a private servant in a diplomatic household.

If you wish to obtain advice or legal assistance in respect of your immigration matter, we offer an affordable and confidential consultation at a fixed fee with and experienced immigration lawyer where we can answer your questions and explain the processes that will apply. Your consultation fees will be set off against your instructions to the firm if you go on to instruct us.

For more information or to book an initial consultation, please contact us

bottom of page