top of page

Visit Visa For Marriage or Civil Partnership

The Marriage Visitor visa is designed for non-EEA nationals over the age of 18 who wish to visit the UK to marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of a marriage or civil partnership, in the UK.

On arrival in the UK, all visitors (including non-visa nationals) coming to marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of this, in the UK must have a valid visit visa endorsed with this purpose and the name of the holder’s fiance(e) or proposed civil partner.

If you want to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership, and you and your partner intend to leave the country within 6 months, you can apply for a visa as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership.

If you want to live in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership ceremony, you cannot come to the UK as a marriage visitor.


In order to be granted a Marriage Visitor visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you are a genuine visitor. This means that you are:

  • Over 18 years old;

  • Going to leave the UK at the end of your visit;

  • Visiting the UK for less than 6 months;

  • In a genuine relationship;

  • Hold a valid UK entry clearance for entry in this capacity

  • Free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival;

  • Genuinely seeking entry for a purpose that is permitted by the visitor routes and will not undertake any prohibited activities;

  • Able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friends;

  • Able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and

  • Not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

The applicant must not:

  • take employment

  • produce goods or provide services within the UK

  • intend to undertake a course of study

  • be a child under the age of 18

  • intend to receive private medical treatment

  • be in transit to a country outside the common travel area

  • do any of the activities of a business, sports or entertainer visitor.


There is no provision within the Immigration Rules for an extension of stay as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership.

Duration of Visa:

Applications for Marriage Visitor visas should be made not more than 3 months before you intend to travel.

Your Marriage Visitor visa will be valid for 6 months and you can use this visa to marry or enter into a civil partnership within the UK.

As a Marriage Visitor visa holder you will not be permitted to:

  • Receive public funds;

  • Bring in family members (‘dependants’) – they must apply separately;

  • Live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits or make the UK your main home;

  • Extend your visa or switch to another visa;

  • Work – except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, eg attending meetings; or

  • Study for more than 30 days – studying cannot be the main reason for your visit.

If you wish to obtain advice or legal assistance in respect of your immigration matter, we offer an affordable and confidential consultation at a fixed fee with and experienced immigration lawyer where we can answer your questions and explain the processes that will apply. Your consultation fees will be set off against your instructions to the firm if you go on to instruct us.

For more information or to book an initial consultation, please contact us

bottom of page